Sunday 24 June 2012

Stand development

After yesterday's disappointment with the Contax I thought today I would try my first experiment with stand development.  This is where you go against the normal rules of film development and use a very dilute mixture of developer with almost no agitation and long times. To be sure any problem with the results were not down to the camera I got my trusty Nikon F out. Both the 50mm and the 24mm Nikkor lens on this are pin sharp.
I loaded up a roll of my 'test' film, recently expired Legacy Pro 100 and took some shots. This was then developed in Rodinal mixed at 1+100 (only 5ml of developer for 495ml of water). The only agitation used was 30secs at the start. Then the developing tank sat in the kitchen for 1 hour. After that fix and wash as normal.
I have to say I'm very impressed with the results, very nice tones, which is what stand development is supposed to produce.

And it's so easy! Just set my alarm clock and get on with something else for an hour. I will definitely use this technique again.

No comments:

Post a Comment