Friday 11 January 2013

Which little Olympus?

I always like to have a small easy to use film camera with me that takes great photos. That way I can capture interesting things that I come across in my day to day life without having a large SLR with me all the time. Key requirement is that is should fit in my pocket (or my briefcase if I'm working). I've tried a variety of cameras but it usually comes down to a little Olympus 35mm camera. I've had an Olympus XA2 for some time, it's a red one that I was given. It's a lovely camera, very small and light and very easy to use. Automatic exposure and zone focusing (3 settings, close ups, groups and distance).

Tempted by the sophistication of the XA, with its coupled rangefinder, I bought one on e-bay a little while back. Trouble is with my not so great eyesight, the rangefinder spot is quite difficult to see in the viewfinder, even with a tiny blob of Bluetack on the front of the viewfinder to make it a little clearer. I have got some good photos out of the XA but I don't find it that easy to use and for street shooting the focus lever and rangefinder are just too fiddly for me.

I used a number of other cameras in my collection for this role. I have a nice Olympus 35RC but its a bit temperamental and sometimes refuses to work (poor battery contacts I think) I also have a lovely Canon QL19 This camera always takes great pictures but its a little too big to go in my pocket.
In this picture the Canon doesn't look much bigger than the Olympus but it is significantly Larger

A rather different proposition is my 1930s Zeiss Super Ikonta 530. Being a folding camera this does fit in my pocket, although its pretty heavy. Its a beautiful instrument, although not really a 'street shooter' requiring a more leisurely approach (and a separate light meter). Of course is takes 120 film, not 35mm. Still, I really should take more photos with it.

So which is my favorite? Well the one that fit the bill and takes the best overall photos, the Olympus XA2 is hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment