Tuesday 4 February 2014

1937 Leica III

My 1937 Leica has been on the shelf for too long, fitted with the F2 Summar its a beautiful instrument.

However my first attempt at using it ended in failure. It is fiddly to load a film in the camera and I ended up with the film not winding on properly and a small piece of torn film lodged in the mechanism. This can be awkward as unlike SLR cameras you can't get to the back of the focal plane shutter. However by removing the lens and setting the shutter on 'B' I was able to get the film piece out with tweezers. The instructions for loading the film are printed on the underside of the base plate:


You need to cut the film leader as shown and then slot the film and the removable spool back into the camera. This shot shows the film and spool being inserted back into the camera:

The Summar lens is really sharp, as this test show shows:
I'm off the Turkey next week, and I will be taking some shots with the Leica.

No comments:

Post a Comment